On the August bank holiday I had a little art stall at Sunshine Riding School and sold some of my pictures .. Enthused by this I got my inks out, which had been in the loft. And painted, and painted, and painted.
Not sure what to do with all these, now! Stall at Hitchin market? Etsy shop? hm.
Based on a cardboard box, deconstructed and reformed into the right shape with gaffa tape, then strips of newspaper and PVA glue to make a strong, plastic finish. Takes about a day and costs very little!
I was feeling creative yesterday – this started off as acrylic painted onto a canvas, with more detail added with inks.
This technique is working well for me – I love the textures you get with acrylic and the way you can almost mould it with a palette knife – but I struggle with control and subtlety as the cheap acrylics I can afford tend to clump and are too bright and plasticcy – it’s very had to get any sort of natural warmth from them.
Using inks on top of the acrylics (a mixture of windsor and newton and quink) is a good way to bring a bit more depth and detali in – you can of course use a really fine brush or dip pen with the inks, and they have a better quality of colour – less “new” looking.
I may have gone a bit overboard with the gold ink, but I wanted my elder god to look shiny!
Today I have been busy drawing.
These use Windsor and Newton inks (the same set my mum bought me when I was 16 actually, that’s why I’ve only got 3 colours left), a rotring disposable black pen, on cheap watercolour paper.